With the exception of the LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programs at the Leiden Law School, for outstanding students enrolling in a full-time Leiden University Master’s degree program. Please take note that the Leiden Excellence Scholarship application will be available beginning in early November 2022 for study programs beginning on September 1st in 2023.
All Leiden University Master’s programs, with the exception of the LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programs of the Leiden Law School, are eligible for this award.
- Non-EEA/non-EFTA* nationals who are applying for a Master’s programme at Leiden University. See additional note for UK students below.
- Students of all nationalities applying for an LLM Advanced Studies programme, or the MSC in International Relations and Diplomacy.
- Students from the UK are now allowed to apply for the LExS because they are no longer considered EEA members. Applicants who were residing in The Netherlands and registered in their Dutch municipality’s BRP before to January 1, 2021, are not affected by this.
- Student’s previous study program(s), which must be applicable to the Master’s degree for which they are applying, must have produced exceptional academic performance. The fact that the student graduated in the top 10% of his or her previous study program is an evidence of this. Note that no evidence of ranking is necessary; this data is only provided to show the degree of competition.
What The Scholarship Covers
The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study programme. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The LExS is not a full scholarship. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
How To Apply For Scholarship
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a PDF file of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
1 February for programmes starting 1 Sept / 1 October for programmes starting 1 February.
The student is in charge of submitting a comprehensive application in accordance with the procedures outlined above and by the deadline specified above. Applications that are submitted late or incompletely are not the responsibility of Leiden University.